Top Ten Things Sousa Parents Should Know
1. Support Sousa School by getting involved in the Home and School Association (HSA). The HSA has a wide variety of volunteer opportunities to meet everyone's interests and schedules. It’s a great way to meet new people and to be more connected to the school. To enroll in the membership toolkit and see how to connect with other parents, visit the HSA webpage here.
2. The school day (academic instruction) begins promptly at 8:45 A.M. It is very important that your child arrives on time to school. This will set them up for a successful day.
3. All visitors to Sousa MUST present and scan a valid photo ID prior to entering our school.
4. Faculty at Sousa have email accounts. All email addresses follow the same protocol: first initial of their first name followed by their whole last name @portnet.org ,[email protected] Teachers may not be able to access their email during the school day. Should you require immediate response or action, please call Sousa directly at 516-767-5350.
5. All changes to dismissal plans MUST be emailed to [email protected] prior to 11:30 a.m..
6. When your child is absent, call 516-767-5355 no later than 9:00 a.m. to report the absence. Sick children must remain at home until they are fever free or have not thrown up or had diarrhea for no less than 24 hours. Upon their return, a handwritten note explaining their absence is required for school records.
7. Parents need to be patient and considerate when dropping off students in the morning. Dismissal instructions can be located here.
8. Please avoid calling the Main Office between 2:45 P.M.-3:15 p.m. as we are busy safely dismissing the students.
9. Please refer to your Sousa Student Directory for student addresses and phone numbers. All HSA Committee/Chairperson information can be found on the HSA’s website. All communication regarding the HSA and all important school information is communicated via email. Please be sure that Sousa and the HSA has your correct email address.
10. The first Friday of every month is Sousa Spirit Day. Have your child wear Sousa gear or blue clothing in support of our school.